- Leave Comments.
- Use Trackbacks.
- Use Social news networks.
- Taking part in contests.
- Hosting blog contests.
- Group writing projects.
- Email is your best friend.
1. Leave Comments : This is the best way of generating the traffic. Although, it can be slow but if you have the capability of writing great content then you’ll just do with this tactic only and you’ll be able to draw lots of visitors. Now think this way that someone comes to your blog and leaves a comment and with that he leaves the URL of his blog, won’t you visit that blog to see that what else that person has to say. I’m sure you will if not for reading it but at least for checking the design. That gives you the traffic. Now, if you do it on 10 blogs then you get 10 visitors and again, if you leave something meaningful in the comment then you may attract more visitors too of that blog.
I myself found pretty reluctant in leave comments but over the period of time I learnt this and found that it is really helpful in building the community around the blog too and thanks to Nirmal who constantly left comments on my blog and made me leave comments on his posts and that way I came into the habit of leaving the comments.
2. Use Trackbacks : This is another way of generating the traffic. It works exactly in the same fashion as comments. Trackback is basically linking to another post (which you may have liked or not liked) and the author or owner of that blog automatically gets notified about your post and the urge to read that post will increase in that blogger and he’ll read the blog post. PlasticBag.org has given a great visualization of what exactly Trackback is.
If in doubt think this way that I linked to your post where you are talking about how your boozo (your dog) plays with ball and you get the notification that TipsoSaurus has written a post and linked to you, then won’t you try to find that what exactly TipsoSaurus has written ? So, you see that leaving comments and trackbacks can get you the traffic.
In a live example : Ken linked to Ashish’s post in a very smart way, where he was talking about web hosts and he dragged the story to Alexa rank and linked to the post written by Ashish on alexa rank. Oh my gosh! I just left two trackbacks, earned two readers
(I’ve seen many experienced bloggers not to do this. But, one blogger makes a real good use of this feature and she is Lorelle).
3. Make use of Social networking & social news networks : Social networking is important in blogging and if you can’t do social networking then it’s a rare chance that you’ll be successful in blogging. Leaving comments and trackbacks is part of social networking. Apart from that be part of one of the popular Social news networks i.e. Digg.com or Stumbleupon. I’m not saying that go ahead and start spamming these social news networks (it doesn’t work that way, believe me. I’ve failed myself) by submitting your URLs in these networks. But, if you are an active user then most likely you’ll find readers from these services who’ll submit a well written post by you to these networks and Digg and Stumbleupon can get you heaps of traffic! Sometimes it becomes difficult to handle too.
4. Participate in contest run by bloggers : There are many bloggers who run various contests and ultra popular bloggers like Darren Rowse (You can imagine the popularity of Darren by checking this post, where Pearl couldn’t believe her luck when Darren said that he has subscribed to her blog) and John chow hold them regularly. You’ll find many bloggers in those contests and you’ll find that many contestants will visit your blog too, just to see who is the competitor. Won’t you like to do that, I’m sure you’ll do it, it’s just in the human nature! I think I don’t need to elaborate much into it, as you are wise yourself.
5. Host blog contests yourself : Ok, if you’ve got something to gift to others or have some thing which can be of some value to others then you can get good amount of traffic. Because there are bloggers who’ll take part in your contest and will do whatever (till it is sensible) to win the prize. So, if you ask them to just mention about your blog on their blog then they’ll happily do it. But, then again it completely depends on the prize you are giving. Don’t expect lot of people running for contest if you are giving away $ 10 but if you give away something like an iPhone then you can expect lots and lots of crowd running over towards your blog!
6. Group writing projects : There are many group writing projects organized by bloggers and most of the successful bloggers have run something like this and Daniel of Daily Blog Tips (Currently the blog seems to be down because of some error, but it will be up and running in sometime) ran an excellent group writing project and I’m sure that you’ll love all the posts which were submitted in that group writing project.
7. Email is your best friend : Remember that this may be old fashioned but if you can email the link to your blog post to your friends and family members and then ask them to read it and leave comments and participate in the communication then they’ll definitely become the regular visitor. They’ll also forward the link to your blog post, if they find it really good. You won’t believe your luck, if just in case your blog post becomes part of this old Viral marketing. There’s no harm in trying it. But don’t over do it, people may not like it either but once in a while its ok and if the content is compelling then you may expect them as a regular visitor.